Prevention is better than cure…
An often used phrase, but nowhere is it truer than in dentistry. At Chiltern Avenue Dental Practice, preventative dentistry is at the heart of everything that we do. We have two dental hygienists available to help you.
We know that more time spent on hygiene visits and education will mean less time having teeth filled or removed and less cost to you, the patient. Something we’re sure that you will welcome!
Better oral health is increasingly recognised as important to the body as a whole and not just the mouth. So, what are our 8 top tips to help you enjoy better oral health?
- Stop smoking. As well as the well known problems in relation to lung cancer and heart disease, smoking is a major contributory factor in oral cancer. It can also cause gum inflammation and leads to gum recession which increases plaque build up.
- Enjoy alcohol in moderation. Alcohol is another contributory factor to oral cancer.
- Avoid fizzy drinks and sugary snacks. These lead to a massive increase in plaque which can lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
- Try and restrict food intake to mealtimes. Oral bacteria benefit from the constant nourishment that snacking can provide. If you must snack, then try and choose foods like fresh fruit or cheese which are better for your teeth.
- Eat a well balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals. This will lead to healthier gums and therefore healthier teeth.
- Brush your teeth carefully twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. (Children under 7 should only use a pea sized amount of low fluoride toothpaste).
- Regularly clean between the teeth. Either with Floss, Flossettes, interspace brushes or TEPE interdental brushes. Ask us how to if you are not sure – don’t worry – a lot of people don’t know how to do it properly until they are shown!
- Visit Chiltern Avenue Dental Practice regularly for hygiene appointments
Contact DetailsFor further information on any of the services featured on the site or to arrange a consultation please call us on 020 8950 2664, use the contact form below or write to us at:
Chiltern Avenue Dental Practice 32 Chiltern Avenue, Bushey, Hertfordshire. WD23 4QB Tel: 020 8950 2664